Geezer's Property #14

by Sumi H. Inkblot

A skeleton sat on the Sibelnu, one hand pressed against its rib cage and the other raised high, as an opera singer would do.

“Do you always have to make the same stupid entrance?” asked the Geezer.

“It gets boring before you’ve even started,” commented Saya, gliding through the pools of light falling in from the windows. “Since you’re in here all the time, can’t you at least think of something new?”

“The only time I’m awake is when you’re in here, you stupid little faerie!” the skeleton yammered, teeth clattering together, as it jumped down and rattled towards them.

“What’s that thing?” asked Leah, eyebrows knitted together over disgusted eyes.

“Thing?!” roared the skeleton, arms coming up to twist his head around to stare at Leah, apparently speechless by the thirteen-year-old girl buried in books, gazing at him with no sparing of skepticism.

“Yes, thing, as you are most obviously not alive.”

The skeleton gaped at her, jaw falling off its skull and skittering across the floor to stop at the Geezer’s feet.

“Leah, this is Julius, the creator of the Sibelnu. Julius, re-hinge your jaw before I chuck it at the rest of your skull. These are Rowan and the hooligan-with-no-name. Be nice, he can toss us out of here if he wants too.” The Geezer, using the head of his cane like a putter, launched the jaw back at Julius, who caught it without much effort, re-hinging it with a sickening crack.

“Thank you. Ah, lovely madam, would you do me the honor of telling me your full name?”

Leah’s eyebrows all but jumped off her head.

“Are you hitting on me?” she asked, and Rowan burst into laughter, stifling his humor in an old book and snorting between his teeth.

“What does that mean, oh fair maiden Leah?”

“Julius was born hundreds of years ago,” muttered the Geezer under his breath to Leah, who looked thunderstruck. “It wasn’t unusual for people to be married before they turned fifteen, in his original time.”

“Oooh.” More loudly, and with a mad glint in her eye, “Uh, nothing, uh, Julius. Tell me how you came to make the Sibelnu?”

Julius thrust his ribcage out, as a pompous youth would puff out his chest.

“I was thirteen at the time the Great Sage Parselan-“

“Never heard of him,” interrupted Sherman.

“Then you have a malformed education,” replied Julius evenly, causing Sherman’s face to grow magenta. “Anyway, Parselan created the half-time known as Reflection, but it was I who realized that it was like…”

He continued to chatter on about how he had made the Sibelnu and how Parselan, his master, had written most of the books on the shelves, but to Leah it faded to a yawn-inducing drone of “my skills blah blah blah Master Parselan blah blah blah Sibelnu blah blah blah….”

Sherman, after the Geezer noticed that steam had been gathering for almost a minute, pointed him towards the abandoned clay, and whispered, “If it makes you feel better, he was this stupid when I first came in here.”

“How long ago was that?” hissed Sherman.

“Quite a while ago. Now, if you please, we have about-“the Geezer squinted at the Sibelnu. “Forty-five non-burned minutes before this place partially collapses from time relapse.”

“So we’re sitting ducks to this freak?” hissed Sherman, out of the corner of his mouth, eyes glaring daggers at Julius. “You have got to be kidding me.”

“No, sorry. Which is why“-the Geezer tapped Sherman on the head with his cane-“you have got to get to work...”

Rowan was sneaking glances at Julius and the swiftly-dozing Leah and felt boredom well up inside him.

“When are we going back?” he asked, flicking the pages of his book back and forth with his recently-acquired spell, trying to avoid the temptation of levitating a vial of some vile green liquid and sending it right into the back of Julius’ skull…

His eye twitched, catching the Geezer’s.

“Just as soon as Sherman can make me a satisfactory Purification Jar…ah, that’s perfect!” he nodded to the lumpy mess in Sherman’s hands.

“Leaving? So soon?” asked Julius, his rant on “the hardness of tree elemental persuasion” (whatever that meant) abruptly sliding to an ungraceful stop.

“Yes! Yes! Oh, thank you, sweet mother! We’re getting out!” sang Saya, corkscrewing through the air, knocking the vial of green goop to the floor. “Whoops! Sorry, Frank…”

“That’s all right, Saya. It’s only umaguma extract.”

“So soon?” repeated Julius. His face showed no emotion – magic skeletons do not have eyebrows to raise or lips to purse- though his creaky voice held an echo of anger. “But, Lady Leah, you’ve only just arrived!”

“Correction: you’ve only just arrived,” pointed out Leah, standing up quickly and sending books flying. “We’ve been here for like forever and a few extra, um, petals or whatever. We really must get back.”

“But I haven’t told you about how I got trapped in here!” whined Julius, more than a little anger definitely in his tone. Several glass bottles shattered on the other side of the room as another wave of light came in.

“Oh, great,” mumbled the Geezer, eyes focusing on the far window. “Julius, the naga are having a fit at the fact that these kids got into the Tarantula Cove, the Lockezan apparently has an issue with the way I water the pansies and Mekare wants me out of the Lockegeo position, so will you please stop acting as though you’re two years old and let us out of here?”

His answer was another pulse of light, all the books’ pages beginning to go back and forth in the magic that was quickly filling up the place.

“Leave Leah here,” said Julius, with all seriousness. “And I will let the rest of you pass from the Sibelnu’s dimension.”

“Saya, could you take care of this, please?” asked the Geezer, a wicked smile twisting his gnarled mouth.

“With all pleasure, Frank. Kids, listen to Frank here, he’s done stupid things like this before.” Saya smiled sweetly and soared through the air until she was eye-level with Leah, right in front of her face. “This won’t hurt a bit, but don’t try to fight it, hmmkay?”

With that, she slammed her tiny fists into Leah’s forehead, went right through her head and started furiously for the nearest window, holding a small gray thing in her hands.

“Sees ya on the other side!” she shouted, diving out of the window. Leah sat there, apparently unconscious. Her normally green eyes had turned a dark, muddy color, only a colored void.

“Wait! What have you done to my-“

“Out the windows! NOW!”

The stone walls were beginning to crumble, shedding sand onto the heads of those present.

Rowan actually cackled with delight as he left Julius to the collapsing Reflection, falling back down into the emptiness of light.

***

The Geezer poked his head out of a chest several feet from the wardrobe, one hand holding the lid open.

“Clear!” he shouted to the light below him as he clambered out, back cracking ominously. Leah scrambled up after him, looking woozy, Saya on her shoulder. Saya dived quickly into her bucket.

“Julius or the naga,” she muttered, after surfacing. “Gee, I wonder which one I’d take over the other.”

“Naga,” said Leah. “No competition.”

“I’m off to call F.B.I.. Take your time down here, but you’ve still got work to do.”

“The government?” asked Rowan, the last out, with all disbelief.

“No, F.B.I., not the F.B.I.. You’ll meet them before the naga get a chance at my hide.”

_______________

The humblest of apologies and thanks for your patience with my WB, my inconsistent updating scheme and general sloppiness. Forgive me, please.

Ok.

really bad part, but I was just so freaking tired of Sibelnu, so I thought of Julius - who, BTW, I intended as a much nicer character- who was bonded to the Sun Bane, controlling Reflection.

:sings:

F.B.I.!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't even written F.B.I. yet and I LOVE them!

Teehee- something for you to look forward too, and something to fill up the remaining days 'til Lockemet comes back!

:twisted:

I've got so many ideas for this story! :twisted: Saya is one kick-butt little changeling, I can tell you! BWAHAHAHHA!

~Sumi

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:55 am
sworddance wrote a review...

*pokes head sheepishly around corner*
err.... hello. I've been gone rather a long time, haven't I? :oops:
I just got back from flipping out at you on another thread because you deleted the kismet story, sooooo I figured while I was on I might as well do something more useful. Aheh... Sorry about the long silence- I'll spare you the excuses. :cry: I'm sorry!!

Anyways, to make amends, even though I should be asleep I'll sit here and crit :D :D

I was a good girl and went back to read the part preceding this to refresh my memory, so... here we go :D tee heet sworddance nit-pick! I'm sure you just- er- missed them so terribly...

So first suggestion- maybe this is because I was away from it for so long, but I think not, as like I said I did go back and read it, I think you should transition this more neatly with what the previous one left off by saying sum'thin like,
"They didn't have to look far for the source of the interruption; a skeleton sat on the Sibelnu, one hand pressed against its rib cage and the other raised high, as an opera singer would do."
-->coincidentally, I agree with what one of the posters said about eliminating the "do." It's not a necessary word, really.

-->what he says doesn't exactly make sense; no one mentioned anything about him being awake or asleep, only about "being in here", so perhaps you might word that differently... "In here, stupid faerie, but never awake unless you come in," the skeleton... etc
--> yammered; not quite the best word. That's usually a sort of babbling on, which he isn't doing until later. It kinda describes the way in which a skelly would speak, but tis still not quite what you're looking for, I'd say. Mayhap "rattled" would work better.

--> reeeaaaaalllllyyyyy confusing. First he's roaring, then he's speechless, but the actions aren't defined in and of themselves. They're blurred as though all one action, which makes no sense.
-->"no sparing of skepticism" also makes no sense to me.
-->I'd suggest re-wording that sentence into something like the following:
"Thing?!" roared the skeleton, its arms reaching up to forcibly twist his head about to look to the source of the insult, but he froze as suddenly as he'd begun; the sight of Leah, a thirteen year-old girl buried in books who gazed at him with no small amount of skepticism, seemed to rendered him speechless."
....maybe. :P

"Leah’s eyebrows all but jumped off her head."
--> rofl great imagery, but might I suggest "jumped from her forehead"?

-->couple things- I suggest adding "dumbfounded" in there, or some such, so you get "she asked, dumbfounded, and..."
-->also: it is difficult to imagine someone "bursting into laughter" while at the same time "stifling" it. The two are contradictory to each other. So- "burst into snorts of stifled laughter, trying vainly to hide his humor in the pages of an old book." .....sum'tin like dat.

"muttered the Geezer under his breath to Leah, who looked thunderstruck."
-->"who looked thunderstruck". Is this referring to her reaction to the Geezer's words, or to the skelly's? Because it reads as the former in this context. If not, I would say, "...to Leah, whose unchanging thunderstruck expression quite clearly told him she did not comprehend. He sighed." ...and then what he says next.

"Sherman, after the Geezer noticed that steam had been gathering for almost a minute, pointed him towards the abandoned clay, and whispered, “If it makes you feel better, he was this stupid when I first came in here.”"
-->Sherman pointed him toward the abandoned clay and whispered?? Take out the comma-inserted bit, and that's what you get. Unless he holds a rather interesting conversation with himself, it makes no sense. SO!
--> please clarify for us by breaking it into separate sentences or something who exactly is the subject of that paragraph, who is pointing, who is noticing, and who is speaking. it's supposed to be sum'thin like "The Geezer, noticing that steam had been gathering for almost a minute, pointed Sherman toward the abandoned clay and whispered," ...right? Something like that?

"Rowan was sneaking glances at Julius and the swiftly-dozing Leah and felt boredom well up inside him."
-->tense change. I suggest "...and the swiftly dosing Leah, feeling boredom..."

"the Lockezan apparently has an issue with the way I water the pansies"
--> ROFLMAO I love it :D You know, I'll tell you straight out- one of the greatest things I love about your writings is the way you word things sometimes- exquisite, and exquisitely hilarious. Such sarcasm :wink:

"Saya on her shoulder. Saya dived quickly into her bucket. "
-->repetitive. "The changeling dived..." perhaps?

"she muttered, after surfacing."
-->cut the "after"; tis unnecessary, trust me.

And now I must move on to the others!!!!!!!
..hmmm, I ought to go to sleep sometime soon here as well. I have class tomorrow, oh joy... *sigh*
ONWARD!!!!!!

Shireling says...

Now I am a little more awake, so I am going to jump right in.

To me it seems that if the bony fellow is roaring he is not speechless. Perhaps you should leave that out. The next sentence displays his speechlessness better anyway.

I had to laugh at this bone head though. Absolutely hilarious and much needed after the long boredom of study.

“When are we going back?” he asked, flicking the pages of his book back and forth with his recently-acquired spell, trying to avoid the temptation of levitating a vial of some vile green liquid and sending it right into the back of Julius’ skull

This sentence needs some work in my opinion. First I think you might want to avoid using 'vial' and 'vile' so close together. I also don't think you need this ellipsis at the end. It is inserted as if the something were unfinished but I can't see what unless it is Rowan's thought of tossing the vial at Julius. But for that it doesn't seem right. Sorry if that is confusing, it seems wrong to me but I am not sure exactly why.

Anyway

I think this could be rephrased better. The adverb is unnecessary

“But I haven’t told you about how I got trapped in here!” whined Julius, with more than a little anger in his tone. Several glass bottles shattered on the other side of the room as another wave of light came in.

It's up to you though of course.

Sees ya on the other side!” she shouted, diving out of the window. Leah sat there, apparently unconscious. Her normally green eyes had turned a dark, muddy color, only a colored void.

Typo Sees-see. Did Saya just grab Leah's brain? And why?

“Wait! What have you done to my-"

While I know this must be Julius talking, it is a little far from the last referance to him so you might want to name tag it in some way.

“Naga,” said Leah. “No competition.”

Also now that I am not suffering from fatigue I can tell that this is the Geezer speaking, but I still think you should name tag the first one. You are trying to avoid the 'he said' trap I know, but if the dialogue sentences get to far away from last mention of their speaker it is easy for the reader to lose track of who is talking. Like I did last night. This is kind of a pet peev of mine sorry. Something to think about anyway.

Overall I liked it mostly. Some more discription of the surroundings wouldn't hurt though, I had a hard time picturing what was happening during the chaos of time, the sibelnu, and the room collapsing into beams of light.

Anyway it's a cool story and I look forward to the next installment.

Write On!

Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:00 am
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Thank you, all! ^_^

Actually, Shireling, that's the Geezer speakin', as the naga aren't after Saya 'cuz...well...I'll leave that for me to know and you to find out. :spits out tongue: pbbbth! (My maturity kills some people. Roar!)

So you've read the rest? Great! ^_^ And when is sworddance gonna show up? :casts beady eyes in various directions that she might be hiding:

Ratchet, I wasn't planning on bringing Julius back unless the three musketeers need to use the Sibelnu again, and frankly right now I'm so tired of it it's doubtful. For fun, though, I might write a little thingamabob about him a little later on.

:lol: I love that guy already. (erm, is that a good thing? :lol: )

Dunno, you tell me :shock: Julius is a psycho in my opinion, but in a crazily loveable sort of way.

If you overlook the fact he's a skeleton and no fun to hug :roll:

Thanks for reviewing guys!

Where be ya, sword, na?!

~Sumi ;)

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:23 am
Shireling wrote a review...

Wow, RachetWriter was right. The Geezer's Property is a pretty cool tale. I'm not going to give much of a critique right now, I am almost falling asleep at the computer. Long day, don't ask.

I do have one comment though.

“Naga,” said Leah. “No competition.”

At first I was unsure about who was talking here. After I re-read again a couple of times I decided that it must be Saya, right?
Anyway either I'm tired or you might want to link the dialogue more firmly to Saya. And I am tired, but I said that already didn't I?

Shireling

RatchetWriter wrote a review...

Oh nice!

All the plot ideas and things swirling all over the place. This story could go lots of directions! I'm looking forward to which way it will go though.

Just loved the hilarious dialogue in this section. And the part where Julius' jaw comes off is so funny. :lol: I love that guy already. (erm, is that a good thing? :lol: )

I thought Julius was a nice addition to the cast, a completly new personality, which sparked this story up even more. (I hope you're planning on more of him)

And so ends another of my not-so-helpful, but normaly encouraging posts. :D

Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:29 pm
Ofour wrote a review...

It was a bit... sudden. Maybe I should've read the previous section beforehand to refresh my memory.

But it was good, exciting stuff. Harry Potter meets the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Only quibble:

"as an opera singer would do"

Sounds strange, clumsy. Remove the "do" and it sounds much better.

Please be continuing with the work that is you are doing... being.

?

Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:03 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Oh, my gosh.

I was sweating all through the night -Julius is such a badly written character!- and thought I'd wake up to a bunch of "You can do better than that!"s, followed by paragraphs of character development.

And right when I log on you comment ^_^""

On the misplaced "s, yeah, my comp has a tendency to do that when I least expect it, and to reverse it I have to re-write a paragraph or so. :shock:

Thanks for reviewing, Twit!

:wipes sweat exaggeratedly from brow:

~Sumi ;)

Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 am
Twit wrote a review...

Yay, been missing this, and I'm all out of touch with the story. I like Julius the way he is, don't change him. :wink:

Inkie wrote:Sherman, after the Geezer noticed that steam had been gathering for almost a minute, pointed him towards the abandoned clay, and whispered, “If it makes you feel better, he was this stupid when I first came in here.”

This bit is worded awkwardly. Start it with saying what the Geezer did, and not about Sherman.

Inkie wrote:“Quite a while ago. Now, if you please, we have about-“the Geezer squinted at the Sibelnu.

You forgot a space after the dash, and your quote marks are the wrong way round.

Apart from that, I couldn't see anything glaring. Mae carnen and all that.

You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae